At the start of this year, I was in a very strange place. I wasn’t taking things very seriously and I was floating around with the idea of making music. I knew I was (and still am) very interested in writing for other people, and I wanted to release my own music, but nothing ever stuck. Life problems got in the way, and I realised I was never going to be fully aware of what I wanted to do in my music career unless I figured out myself as a person. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m still a clueless 20-year-old, figuring out who I want to be…but as a musician there were a few things 2017 taught me.
- You don’t need to fully understand what kind of music you want to create and you don’t need to fully understand yourself as an artist just yet. Yes, this is very important, however try not to beat yourself up about not having everything figured out. This stuff takes time, and that’s okay.
- Write because it makes you happy, not because its your job.
- Drown yourself in new albums. There is so much good music out there which will lead you to inspiration, you just have to go out and find it.
- Not everyone in this industry is going to be your best friend. Not everyone may be as nice as they seem. Trust your gut, if something doesnt feel right, it’s fine to walk away.
- You don’t need to rush to get music out. You’re the only person thinking about this everyday. Take the time to make it right and make it what you are most proud of.
- Practice. Practice. Practice.
- Step out of your comfort zone. That will allow you to grow the most as a person and as an artist. If you can travel to the other side of the world on your own and meet a bunch of strangers to co write for a week, you can do anything.
- No amount of success is worth sacrificing good friends and relationships in your life. Remember what’s really important.
- You are told daily how young you are…and that’s not a bad thing. Yes, you’ve got a long, long way to go. But, embrace the fact that you haven’t got everything figured out yet, because there is something very beautiful in that.
- Everyone is going to have their opinion. Everyone’s opinions are going to be different. Everyone is going to think their opinion is the right opinion. Remember that this art is YOURS. Figure out what you like and what you don’t like. Your decision is the best one. ❤